Our Floorplan

Our Floorplan
900 sq ft

About Me

My photo
Call us crazy, nuts or temporary loss of senses. That's what they said....this is about the quiet quest to simplify our life! The process of eliminating the clutter and stress and taking back our freedom. Like many small business owners….we were hit hard due to the economy. We found ourselves rethinking the direction we were heading. Should we gamble and keep the big house and "stuff" because that's what everyone does or do we reexamine what is truly important in our lives? 9 Hundred Square feet is an open-ended journey in living “Smaller, Simpler and Stress-Free” lives!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Myth # 1... My place is too small to entertain!

Tis the season to entertain. You live in a small space (right size living) and you feel you do not have the ability to invite family, friends or colleagues to enjoy some great food...a little wine and fun.

So not true! If you are organized and have your small space in order... It's easy, manageable and can be stress free.

I will be preparing Thanksgiving for Juan and I as well as my mom and her friend. I'm not worried and it's not about stressing myself out...it's my holiday too and I want to enjoy.

When you walk in the main area... It’s a long narrow rectangle space.  So… not a lot of counter space to place covered dishes or hot plates, etc. I have seating inside and outside, however outside is not quite ready. Simple yet not formal seating...narrow area to sit and hang out....no problemo!

I try to create intimate areas for people to hang out and enjoy without creating a huge roadblock of the narrow walkway through the house. The patio is a great place to have cold beverages on ice as well as glasses etc and place to have people enjoy and hang out.

In the living area is a great place to have horsderves and another area to have people mingle and enjoying while you are doing the finishing touches in dinner. What is so great in being in a small space, you stay connected to everyone.

So back to Thanksgiving dinner...

Me... I'm always thinking out of the box! Tradition dining with different thought process about how we go about doing it.

Thinking about Thanksgiving Day and trying to prepare a hot and delicious meal for all to enjoy is all about timing. Cook the stuffing and prepare the turkey. Then you have to boil potatoes...gotta have some greens. The rolls...where are the rolls to bake?...pumpkin pie from scratch??? Oh and then the homemade gravy...and all needs to be ready and hot all at once without drying out or burning what is already cooked. I'm tired just thinking about it.

Now the way I do this will probably not be an option or desire for you, but I find this way easier on me and then I can enjoy like everyone else.

I started thinking about the meal and the best part of Thanksgiving for me is leftovers. So I took this idea and worked it to my advantage. Why not prepare dinner a day early? (I know you think I'm nuts about now)
I'm typically home on Wednesday and by then I've been to the store and hopefully got everything I need.  (Juan can always make a run if I forgot something). There's no stress as I start cooking the stuffing and prepare the turkey. I enjoy some wine as I boil some potatoes and decide to get all my dishes and dinnerware ready for tomorrow. I continue preparing additional dishes if needed and get the table ready for a party.

Basically I prepare pretty much all of the dinner or the majority of it so that on Thanksgiving Day I'll be ready, happy and stress free to enjoy my meal with my family. By doing this, I do not have the extra dishes around where I don't have room...I'm able to heat in my ceramic ware and place on the kitchen granite countertops.

I'm able to reheat the turkey and stuffing…heat and add additional cream to mashed garlic potatoes, prepare the rolls and everything will be hot and ready at ONCE!

You probably think I'm crazy or weird but for me...I'm able to enjoy Thanksgiving morning with a bike ride some coffee and Juan. Enjoy a relaxing rest of morning adding final touches to my table. Have my meal heating while guests arrive and have everything hot and ready at once when everyone gathers around the table for grace.

I enjoy entertaining and I enjoy having people over to my small space…this works for me and I truly enjoy cooking and baking. I’m forever trying to do things easier and better each time…you might think of something different, if so…you should share and I would be happy to post!

Right size living has made me and Juan much better at eliminating the clutter or STUFF...keeping organized and in their place and enjoying a simpler lifestyle.

So why not cook ahead of time and enjoy the "meal/leftovers" on Thanksgiving Day.

3 comments:

  1. I also try to do dishes in advance. The flavors always seem to be better the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 900 square feet is a pretty big place. I live in a space of 135 square feet. You have to cook a lot smaller in a space like mine. But with such a small space, I can still entertain about 5 people, closely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kera
    That is small. I would live for you to email me your contact info. I would love to see your space. I am amazed and pleased at the square footage you live in. My email address is info@the9hundred.com.

    ReplyDelete